A strong foundation

Site History

Photos © Shetland Museum and Archives

Anderson Educational Institute

The school, founded as the Anderson Educational Institute by Arthur Anderson, a native entrepreneur and co-founder of the Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Company (P&O),officially opened in 1862.

The style of the building is modelled on a French chateau, with a north and south wing including a house for the headmaster. In 1902, primary pupils moved from the building when a new Lerwick Central Public School (now Islesburgh Community Centre) opened. Following this the headmaster’s house was converted into classrooms and in the 1930s a playing field was added.

During World War II, the Institute building was requisitioned as a military hospital, and the pupils were taken to the Central School. The roll grew to 202 in 1948, and temporary classrooms were erected in the school grounds.

Anderson High School

In 1970, the Anderson Educational Institute was renamed the Anderson High School, with a transition to comprehensive education. At this time, there were over 350 pupils in the school. The school building was extended with a new school block at the back, a new gym hall and an assembly hall. In 1977, another gym hall and three large building blocks were added, and then more recently a science block and additional needs department.

The High School moved to a new location within Lerwick in late October 2017 after two years of construction. The new school building and a new halls of residence are situated north of the Clickimin Loch. The school building is a modern four storey building and can accommodate up to 1,200 pupils.